10 Behaviors of Successful People
Success. We all chase it – in work, health, fitness, in life itself. We all want to be successful. To know that the work is paying off, to reap the benefits of our labor, success can look different to many people. Why are some people successful and others are not? Regardless of the outcome you are looking for, these behaviors can be adopted and implemented in your daily life and your pursuit of being successful.
1. Create and pursue focused goals
- Everyone sets goals with the best of intentions to follow through. The truth is, distractions and daily struggles can lead to a loss of momentum and motivation. Narrow your list of goals and create structure and discipline to carry yourself through to meet those goals even when motivation falters.
2. Take decisive and immediate action
- Don’t put off to tomorrow, what you can get done today. Too many times we put things off and they get lost in the shuffle. Take action in the now if it is important to you.
3. Avoid the trap of trying to make things perfect
- Perfection is not attainable. Choosing to progress will always have a better outcome than not starting at all.
4. Work outside of your comfort zone
- The best things in life are just outside of your comfort zone. You cannot grow and learn if you are always using the comfort of normality to be your security blanket. Take the risk, put yourself out there, you will never regret it.
5. Eat the frog
- Tackle the most pressing task first thing in the morning. Before life gets in the way, just get it done.
6. Focus on making small, continuous improvements
- How do you eat the elephant? One bite at a time. Break down your goals from the big picture to create smaller, even daily lists, that over time bring you closer and closer to achievement of your goals.
7. Measure and track your progress
- You cannot measure what you do not track. You can gain some of that motivation to keep pushing on and also know when corrective action is needed.
8. Maintain a positive attitude as you learn from mistakes
- Stopping yourself from making a mistake is progress. Making a mistake and not having anxiety and fear consume you is also progress. Mental progress is just as important is physical progress.
9. Spend time with the motivational people
- You are the sum of the 5 people you spend the most time with. Choose wisely. Success leaves clues – seek out those that are out there making progress and learn from them, spend time with them, understand their mindset and personalities.
10. Maintain balance in your life
- Successful people come in all types of personalities. I have seen business owners that can get more work done in 4 hours than most can do in a 40 hour week, then spend their time doing activities that bring them joy that are not work related. Others I’ve seen work 70 hours a week for months, then they cut out for vacations for weeks at a time. The point is – mental breaks, workouts, family time, hobbies – not everyone works 24/7 to be successful. Find what makes you happy, do more of that, success will come.
Jessica is a health and fitness enthusiast currently living in Lake Norman. She works as a fitness & lifestyle model and is a small business owner who has found success in franchising opportunities. She spends her time finding adventure with her 2 girls, and surfing the lake whenever possible.