What Your Skin is Trying to Tell You
Breaking-out? It could be more than just annoying. Skin mapping is a traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic technique that can help you get a better sense of what is going on inside your body. The premise is that each ‘zone’ of your face relates to certain organs, and breakouts may indicate stress in those organs.
Here’s how they connect:
1. Forehead --- Liver/Gallbladder (too much fat or alcohol)
What can you do? Minimize rich foods and alcoholic beverages and drink plenty of herbal tea and fresh water.
Eat: beets, garlic and leafy greens
2. Between the Eye --- Stomach/Liver (Digestion issues + toxic buildup)
What can you do? Try an elimination diet (ditch dairy, gluten, soy, alcohol, corn, caffeine, eggs, nightshade veggies and sugar) and consider a gentle cleanse.
Supplements: probiotic, digestive enzymes
Eat: miso, sauerkraut, cauliflower, leafy greens
3. Temples --- Kidneys (Dehydration + Overworked Kidneys)
What can you do? Drink more water! Include more hydrating foods and up your intake of superfoods like kale, berries, chlorella and spirulina.
Eat: red bell peppers, cabbage, cauliflower
4. Under the Eyes --- Stomach/Liver & Kidneys (too much sugar, alcohol, caffeine, dehydration, not enough sleep)
What can you do? Heavily reduce or remove alcohol, caffeine and sugar from your diet. Take care of those adrenals! Drink plenty of water and sleep more than you think you should.
Supplement: ashwagandha, magnesium and rhodiola
Eat: garlic, grapefruit, beets, leafy greens
5. Nose/Cheeks (may present itself as discoloring) --- Heart (too much bad fat, not enough good fat)
What can you do? Make sure that you are getting enough healthy fats with omega fatty acids to control cholesterol levels.
Eat: oats, flaxseeds, chia seeds, blueberries, avocados, walnuts, salmon
6. Mouth --- Stomach (Food sensitivities or toxic buildup)
What can you do? Experiment with eliminating trigger foods from your diet, i.e. dairy, gluten and sugar. Focus on fibrous, nutrient-dense foods to assist in removing toxins built up in your system.
Supplement: ginger, peppermint, magnesium a high-quality omega-3
7. Jawline/Chin --- Ovaries/Colon (Hormonal imbalance)
What can you do? Try a balanced diet optimal for hormone stabilization including clean protein, antioxidant-rich vegetables, healthy fats and stabilizing herbs.
Eat: sweet potatoes, Brazil nuts, kale, broccoli